Important! Read this article first: More on getting Froyo (android 2.2) for your Galaxy S
If you’re like me and you already heard that Samsung released their version of the Android 2.2, Froyo update but can’t wait until it reaches your region then you might want to read on…
Some areas like in Scandinavia have already been officially getting the update but here in the U.K. apparently it will take a few more days. Well, I’m not going to wait even that to get all of that Froyo goodness:
- Pinch to Zoom homescreens overview.
- Flash 10.1
- Big speed increase
- Auto updating Android market
- Hebrew support
- and more…
To get the new update you first have to make sure you have the latest Kies software which you can download here. You can check which version you have by opening Kies and then clicking on the top left of the screen where it says “Kies” and then “Program Information”.
If you don’t have the 1.5.3.xxxx._82 then use the link above to download it.
Once you have done that, follow the instruction in this forum thread, instruction copied here for convenience:
1. Open Kies and check for updates, button on the bottom right (near the settings button). If it finds one, good, you can skip these steps and simply install it. If not, continue:
2. Close the update dialog but not Kies, then open the registry editor: Windows Start > Run > “regedit”.
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Samsung/Kies/DeviceDB/
4. Under this key you will see other keys labeled with numbers (on the left hand side), scan the contents of each one until you find one with the value called “IMEI” that matches that of your phone.
In this key, update the following three values:
SoftwareRevision = “I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3″
(You have to do this while Kies is running, otherwise it will automatically update the values with those from your phone)
5. Now, go back to Kies and click the upgrade button again, this time it should find the new version.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen.
For me, the new version has completely reset my home screens, all of my carefully crafted screens have been removed. However, all of the applications were still there so it didn’t take long to get it back to the way it was. I’m just saying this so you’re not surprised if it happens to you.